Share the ♥︎

August 30, 2022

Motorhomes: How To Get The Correct Licence and Get Travelling

There’s a reason why driver’s licences are so important – they allow the holder to drive a host of vehicles unattended, giving them the chance to get out and about and where there need to be with little fuss. It may be worthwhile to keep in mind that there are vehicles that will need specialist licensing, and if you’re hoping to plan a UK getaway in a large motorhome, you’ll need to be C1 certified.

Caravan or recreational vehicle motor home trailer on a mountain road in Canada

Requirements for a C1 driving licence

Drivers that are 18+ and hold a valid standard category B driving licence will be able to apply for a Cat C1 license. Licences awarded before 1997 won’t be subjected to re-evaluation, as these capabilities were already included in the testing protocol. All applications need to be supported by a D4 medical and vision test as standard, so be sure to complete the necessary form and pass this before moving forward.

Luxury motorhomes, flexible holidays and C1 licences

Hiring or buying a motorhome can give drivers the freedom to create the getaways they’re really dreaming of, across the stunning vistas of the UK and even in many other parts of the world (where UK driving licences are valid), getting a C1 can be an asset. The bigger the selection, the more amenities it is likely to have, so a more luxurious experience can be had by all.

You can expect to enjoy:

  • Multiple beds
  • Sufficient seating
  • A kitchen area
  • A separate bathroom
  • Storage space
  • Slide-outs
  • Fresh, grey and black water tanks
  • A water heater
  • Entertainment systems
  • Automatic awnings

Smaller motorhomes and camper vans won’t typically need a C1 drivers licence, as these are often within the same weight category as standard cars (under 3,500kg). Vehicles like luxury motorhomes often weigh in excess of this, and those up to 7,500kg legally require more skills to operate.

You’ll also be able to drive any vehicles in this category, including light lorries, converted lorries, tow trailers and even a host of motorized equipment.

Getting certified

Anyone hoping to get C1 certified will need to first apply for a provisional. You’ll need to send your application alongside a passing D4 health and vision check and your current licence.

From here, lessons with a professional, specialist driving instructor will get you familiar with the necessary skills you’ll need to illustrate at testing. Once your provisional has been sent back to you, you can book your test, where you will be asked to undergo a hazard perception test, a case study and a 100 question multiple-choice test. There will also be a practical test where you’ll need to load and unload the vehicle, with a few additional safety processes that you’ll be asked to demonstrate.

Once everything has been completed and you pass your test, your revised licence will be sent to you in the post (expect a 10-15 day wait). You’ll be able to get on the open road and enjoy all that motorhomes have to offer whenever you like!

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* We will never share your details with any third party 

Grab our ebook

Get instant access to "How to budget a Family Vacation"

We'll get back to you shortly.

Thank you!